November 4-6, 2022 American Red Cross Lifeguard Course at CYO Camp in Occidental, CA
6 seats available
This will be the last lifeguard course offered until May 2023.
The American Red Cross Lifeguarding course provides entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide professional-level care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) take over.
This will be the Blended Learning course which combines online learning with on-site skills sessions where you will practice skills and demonstrate competency. Participants must complete all online portions prior to November 4, 2022 and attend all in-person classes. Upon completion participants will receive a 2-year Lifeguard/CPR/AED/First Aid certification from the American Red Cross. A digital participant manual and resuscitation mask will be provided.
Location: CYO Camp and Retreat Center in Occidental, CA
Class Dates and Times:
Friday November 4: 4:00PM - 8:00PM
Saturday November 5: 9:00AM - 6:00PM
Sunday November 6: 9:00AM - 6:00PM
Participants must be 15 years or older by November 4, 2022.
To participate in the course, you must be able to pass a prerequisite skills evaluation that includes the following:
1. Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
2. Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. You should place your hands under your armpits. 3. Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
■ Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Your face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
■ Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
■ Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object while keeping your face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. You should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
The prerequisite skills evaluation will occur first thing on the first day of the course (November 4th). Please bring a swimsuit and towel for the skills evaluation and for every class.
Registration will be open until November 1, 2022 or until all seats are taken.
• 29 days or more BEFORE the start date of the class, 25% of fee is kept.
• 15-28 days BEFORE the start date of the class, 50% of fee is kept.
• 14 days or less BEFORE the start date of the class, 100% fee is kept.
• All transactions are subject to a $10 administration fee per person.
All refund requests must be made in writing by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.